Thursday 21 March 2013

Hogwarts - Slytherin Dungeons

Here's the next part of Hogwarts; the dungeons! Personally I find extensive basements in the sims difficult to play because of the camera angles, so I decided I would build this with a 'false' basement effect, where the sims enter the building on the upper level. I find this much easier to play, and it also allows for windows!

As always you can click the images to see them larger.

The outside of this building is ugly, and that's because it shouldn't actually exist like this at all, so I just made do and added some railings which are a bit Slytherin-y. The steps there are the entrance into this section, although in my mind, the door just visible on the building next door - which is the entrance hall and great hall - joins up with the entrance lobby in this section. Like film magic!

As with the Ravenclaw section, a lot of this building is empty, or incomplete, and I'll add rooms when I think of things I need to include somewhere.

So the entrance level is the upper ground floor. There's a small lobby area with a corridor. This leads to the Slytherin common room, the Head of Slytherin House's office, and then apartment, a small room (at the bottom of the screen, pictured empty) which currently has some music and art stuff in it in my game and a spiral staircase down to the Potions classroom.

The lower ground floor has the potions classroom and storeroom, but is dominated by the Slytherin common room, bedrooms and bathrooms.

I'm really happy with how the common room turned out. I over-use this fireplace, but it fits in so well with this double-height room.


The small top-level of the common room has some chessboards. These two doors lead to the dormitories - boys on the left, girls on the right.

Both sides of the common room are lined with desks and bookcases for study and homework.

As with the Ravenclaw section, I only made two dormitories, both of which are identical. There is a door off each of them leading to the bathrooms which have toilets, communal showers and an enclosed bath.

I really like how the potions classroom turned out as well.

The store room holds all of the potions ingredients.

Above the potion's classroom and next to the Slytherin entrance, there's an office for the Head of Slytherin House, which has a door leading to her apartment. There is space behind this room which I meant to turn into a private ingredients' store (I remembered Snape had one), and the door to that will go where the ingredients shelf is currently.

The apartment is one room and rather spacious compared to the Ravenclaw Head of House haha. It has a kitchen area, complete with cauldron.

The rest of the space holds the bed and sitting area, a door off to the bathroom, and since this picture was taken, I've added a small dining area.

Talking of dining, I have built the Great Hall in a separate lot, and for storytelling purposes, the students and staff would eat there. However, that isn't convenient to have them all travel to another lot three times a day, so both the Ravenclaw Tower and the Slytherin Dungeons have a secret, unofficial, dining room, where the pupils and resident professors can eat when I can't be bothered to play them at the Great Hall. This just consists of a buffet, a table and a sink in each case.

The Professors' apartments all have a small kitchenette because I imagine realistically, they might like to make themselves a snack in the middle of the night or something, rather than being confined to dining times at the Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment